"Embrace 多样性" was added to The Overlake School mission statement in 2002. In support of that mission, The Overlake School:
Promotes inclusion and understanding by
- valuing the background, culture, 个人 history, and experience of every individual
- empowering each individual to be his or her authentic self, included, respected, and supported
Broadens student perspectives by
- uniting diverse individuals with different cultures, 信仰, and stories to enhance the life-long process of understanding the world around us
- exploring our similarities and differences through the academic curriculum and experiential learning opportunities inside and outside of the classroom
Acquires cultural competency skills when
- students and adults learn together and from each other, allowing us to explore new realities, and challenge stereotypes, working to become global citizens
Creates a diverse, healthy learning environment by
- fostering 个人, 物理, and emotional safety for all members of the community in all areas of school life – academic, 个人, 和社会
- working towards civility, 同情, and moral values through learning initiatives aimed at educating our students to be successful, culturally competent citizens in a rapidly changing global society
Promotes advocacy, access, 和社会 justice by
- inspiring a desire to effect positive change through a real understanding of both the hardships and the institutional 和社会 inequities faced by all marginalized people.
- providing access and opportunity for young people from all backgrounds.
Overlake's Director of 多样性, Mahtab Mahmoodzadeh, facilitated a panel discussion with various school administrators from independent schools in the Seattle area entitled "Thriving as a person of color in independent schools." View the discussion.