2022 - 23包容 & Equity虚拟演讲者系列
The Equity and 包容 Virtual Speaker Series is a program led by Overlake and a number of independent schools in the region to offer our communities and beyond the opportunity to connect, 学习, 并参与有关公平的话题, 包容, 反种族主义教育和行动. Below is the schedule for the 2022-23 school year. 请 回复在这里 以下会议:
Dr. Yuria Celidwen
疗愈 & 整体性就是爱，力量， & 电阻
1月. 19 从6:00-7:15pm
残疾、种族、 & 身份
Dear White Woman, 请 Come Home: Showing up as a Safe Space in Our Schools
The 多元委员会 is chaired by a member of the Board of Trustees and is composed of 教师, Staff, 父母, 和管理员. The Committee meets once a month and ensures the implementation of the 多样性 战略计划, 监控长期计划目标, and reviews multicultural education efforts. This group also deliberates complex diversity issues and provides recommendations to the administration.
Our adult community directly influences the expectations and norms for the myriad of daily cross-cultural interactions that take place within our community. 因此, 重要的是教员, Staff, and administration participate in a broad range of programs that help enhance the development of skills, knowledge needed to effectively serve students from diverse backgrounds and prepare them for a multicultural society.
A survey is administered to Overlake students to help us understand how well we are “embracing diversity”. We administer the survey annually to 8th and 10th graders to measure:
- sources of diversity within our student community (politics, 宗教, 性取向….)
- the degree to which students feel the Overlake School is a “safe place” to develop and discuss potentially controversial ideas
- the effectiveness of programs and activities provided by the Overlake School to engage our students in areas of diversity
多样性 related assemblies and workshops are sponsored throughout the year for students, 教师, 和Staff. These events are either generated by the school or are student-driven initiatives. Featured guests also speak on diversity topics in classrooms, 致学生社团, 在特别的研讨会上. 最近的组件包括:
- MLK Student Assembly with Pellom McDaniels, former NFL player discussing the "Take a Knee" movement (点击这里 观看美国组装视频)
- Living Voices Program on Navajo Code Talkers
- 日裔美国公民联盟, a four day middle school series focusing on Japanese internment and Muslim and Arab information panel
- Distinguished Lecturer: Pramila Jayapal on Exploring Immigration
There are a number of student clubs that include aspects of diversity within their programming:
- IMPACT is a group that brings awareness and voice to the minority experience
- GLOBAL CHALLENGE 20/20 tackles global health issues by communicating with other students across the globe
- DIG DEEP raises funds to address global water issues
- OUTREACH is a motivated group of students that support volunteerism in the community
- The middle school KIVA club has given out more than150 loans totaling more than $9,000 while 学习ing about global poverty and entrepreneurship
除了, 有文化俱乐部, 电影俱乐部, and speech and debate that include diversity topics.
服务学习: Locally, Nationally, Globally
Experiential opportunities like service 学习ing take vital questions and education beyond the classroom and into the community. Participating in service is an opportunity for active 学习ing and developing personal responsibility, 领导, 团队合作, 以及性格发展. We purposefully provide opportunities that expose our students to diverse cultures, 环境, 和情况. Overlake students are 学习ing to make an impact by giving of themselves.
We have established sister school relationships in four countries. 有一个轮流交换项目, 项目周期间主持, our students have the opportunity to travel to schools in China, 西班牙, 法国, 或者意大利. The Overlake community also hosts students from our sister schools. Accommodations are through home stays that immerse our students in international language and culture.
The Overlake community recognizes that education does not take place only in the classroom. Project week is a week long intensive experience that allows students to explore a topic of their interest, 在深度上. 过去的项目包括:
- African and Afro-Caribbean Dancing and Drumming
- Community Service at Baily-Gatzert School
- Service at El Centro de la Raza (Center for the People)
- Baseball and service in the Dominican Republic